Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Green Thumb

We bought our house at the end of October. It had a very nice yard but it was starting to get cool so nothing was in season. It has been really fun this spring to see what comes up. We have a ton of beautiful azaleas in the front and back, a huge camelia that bloomed so beautiful in early spring, several forsythia that are growing like crazy and lots of rose bushes. We also have several dogwoods, a magnolia that is about to bloom and tons of bulbs that are just now coming up. I think they are day lilies which are one of my favorites.

We have not changed much with the yard since we were not sure what would come up. Plus, we are both just now learning about gardening. There is a place in the back that was a former garden. It is already elevated with wooden planks and ready to be planted. Nothing has come up so it is a clean slate for us. I wanted to test my ability to actually grow something. I have killed several indoor plants in the past so I was not sure I was up for the challenge. About a month ago, I planted some herbs in some transplant pots to see if I could in fact keep something alive.

All I can say is success! Soon we will have basil, parsley and cilantro in our herb garden. I might test out some vegetables if I can convince my Dad to come help me.

1 comment:

  1. don't be scared...just put them in the ground and water daily + a little organic fertilizer every now and then. what's the worst that could happen? they die and you're out a few bucks. try again next year :) hugs, julz

    ReplyDelete